Hey all! Sorry I’ve been away for a while. I have a few updates to make, especially about my fitness/weight progress!
1. I’M IN THE FREAKING 160s!!!! My highest weight was 184pointsomething last year. As of yesterday morning I am now 167.8! Holy freaking weight loss batman! That’s almost 20lbs! I can’t believe it! This is a huge deal for me. The past couple years I’ve been wanting to lose weight and I would work out hard and just wouldn’t see any progress. I am now consistently losing weight every week ranging from 0.2 – 2 lbs! *fist pump*
What has worked for me:
Lifting weights like a BOSS. I upped my weight and decreased my reps. I have muscles again! Ladies you CAN lift heavy weights. It helps with weight loss. It really does.
Cardio. Every time I go to the gym I do some form of cardio. It usually switches between the elliptical or treadmill (aka DREADmill, I hate that f*cking machine). I also learned to run outside! I still hate running with a fiery passion, but I still do it. I’m signing up for another 5k in November.
Abs & arms. I do ab workouts maybe 1-2 times a week and some arms. A lot of my ab workouts include planking. Gotta love planking! *insert sarcasm here*
2. Medical issues. I’ve been going through medical issues lately that has/will hinder my work outs. I’m trying to get a few workouts here and there, but I may have to have surgery within the next 2 months. I am doing much better now, but I will post details about that later!
3. My clothes are fitting better and I don’t hate looking at myself as much in the mirror as I used to. I’m now able to wear clothes in my closet that used to be too tight! How awesome is that?!
4. I can bench press 120lbs and leg press 400lbs (NOT including the machine. Four 45lb plates and two 10lb plates on each side baby!). My goal is to bench 135lbs. Only 15 lbs to go!
5. I learned that weight loss takes TIME and EFFORT. I literally didn’t see any weight drop for 3 months. THREE MONTHS. And this was 3 months of working out and lifting hardcore. And when I say hardcore, I’m talking 1-1.5 hours of cardio + abs + weights 4x a week! I stopped thinking about weight loss and started thinking about the 5k I ran and the weight I was lifting. My weight loss eventually came as a surprise! A great freaking surprise!
6. I also learned that weight loss doesn’t happen without a good DIET. I’m not even going to call it a diet. It’s more of a lifestyle change. I’m definitely more conscious about what I eat, but I don’t deprive myself of food either. Taco bell? Sure. Candy? Okay. Ice cream? Why not! But I do it all in moderation. I”ll eat fast food maybe 1-2 times a month, candy every few weeks, ice cream maybe 1-2 times a month. It’s all about portion and knowing how to eat. My daily diet usually consists of:
Breakfast: oatmeal or cereal w/ toast, water
Lunch: Salad w/ a side of fruit, water
Dinner: Chicken/fish, pasta/rice, veggies, water (sometimes juice)
Snacks: Cranberries & almonds, peaches, fruit snacks
Dessert: ice pops, chocolate milk
So for all those non-believers that you can’t lose weight all I have to say is that YOU CAN DO IT. I honestly thought I was going to stay 184 forever. That no matter how hard I worked out that scale wasn’t going to budge. You have to figure out what works for you and stay motivated! One of my main motivators is my boyfriend. He comes with me to the gym and pushes me hard and I am blessed to have him in my life.
I am so happy right now and I cannot wait to reach my 2nd goal of hitting the 150s! My goal is to reach that by October 31st. Wish me luck!
To get myself motivated to workout and run, I’ve signed up for THE COLOR RUN 5K! OMG What did I just do??! lol! This is my first EVER 5K in my whole life. It’s about time don’t you think?! It’s on August 4th, so that gives me 11 weeks to train to run for at LEAST 2 miles! I am going to use this as a motivation to run 3-4 days a week and lift in between.
Here are a few mini goals for myself:
Run a 5k in under 30 minutes
Run at least four 5ks a year!
Run a 10k once in my life!
I’m not a long distance runner. But I really would like to be! I at least want to have the stamina for it. The Color Run should be tons of fun! Pray for me guys! lol
Okay here’s the deal (nothing good ever starts off with those four words lol). I stare at my body everyday looking to see if I see any physical changes. I look in the mirror before my workout and after my workout. You know what I see? Diddly-freaking-squat! I know… I know… it took me YEARS to gain this weight so I’m not going to lose it in a week, but I feel like I workout HARD and I want to see results! If you can’t tell I am a very impatient person. VERY impatient. I actually took a “before” picture, so I guess I can compare that with the way I look now to REALLY see a difference.
What I failed to do is take progress measurements before I started working out regularly. My clothes do fit a little bit more loosely now, so I probably lost inches and didn’t even know it! I will be taking measurements VERY soon. I need to know that what I am doing is working.
I also wonder if my 30 minute Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 workouts is enough to do 5 days a week to lose weight. I mean after I’m done with one workout I am breathing hard, my heart rate is high, and my body is totally exhausted. I feel like I get more tired doing her workouts than doing 30 minutes or more on the treadmill or elliptical. Plus she has you do strength workouts as well. Orrrrr… do I need to do both? Get on the treadmill/elliptical for 20-30 min and then do JM’s workouts? I think I’m going to try and do JM for a month or two and see where I am at. If I am literally not seeing any progress during that time then I will have to change something.
*sigh* Why is losing weight so damn hard and gaining weight is so EASY??! 😦
So the boyfriend had to take his car in for scheduled maintenance this past Saturday so we decided to go to the gym across the street while we waited for his car. I went on the Elliptical for over an hour then we did leg press and free weights. What we did with free weights was basically bench press. You lay down on the bench, bring the weights down so your arms are parallel with your chest (like bench pressing), then you bring them up and have the weights touch. We did 3 sets of 10 reps.
I did this exercise with 20lb. weights. And OH…MY…GOD. My pecs were SO sore the entire weekend! In fact they are still slightly sore. I thought that by me doing 2 weeks of planks and pushups almost daily that I would be able to handle this, uh… no? Even though I was in pain the entire weekend I kind of liked it. It means I worked hard and pushed myself. Go me!
I feel like I am stuck in this limbo of 175-178 lbs. and I think that is because I need to do more cardio. Now I am going to have to force myself to get on the treadmill tonight after work before I do my Jillian Michaels workout.
So I started Jillian Michael’s Ripped in 30 – Week 2 and MAN is it hard. I was dripping sweat! And holy-core-workout-batman… she has you in the plank position maybe 30% of the video! I must say though that I did enjoy the workouts. And I bought 10lb weights to do the workouts before, but I think I need 5lb weights for some specific arm exercises. I’m slightly sore today, not as sore when I first did her workouts. Improvement!
And I chickened out yesterday. I didn’t go running on the treadmill before my workout. Why? Because I hate running, that’s why! I feel like 90% of running is a mental battle between “I can do this, keep going!” and “I want to give up and walk!” Plus I think I get a pretty good cardio workout with these videos. I’m breathing just as hard, or even harder, with JM videos than when I’m on the treadmill. I might be making excuses, but so what? As long as I am pushing myself to workout everyday that’s what matters right? 🙂
Oh! I also stepped on the scale this morning and I only gained 0.3 lbs! That doesn’t sound like a good thing, but after all the unhealthy eating I did this past week I think that is pretty good! I am still on track! I try not to go on the scale everyday, but it’s so hard! I like seeing progress!